Other Categories In Design
A popular suburb of Cheltenham which is located in Gloucestershire, England is that of Charlton Kings which boasts a population of just over 10,000 residents. The name of the suburb can be traced back to the Anglo-Saxon Era in which Charleton actually comes from the Saxon, ceorls' tun meaning a peasant land owner’s fenced in dwelling.
The earliest records of settlement at Charleton Kings can be dated back to the middle Iron Age in which a Roman Villa was discovered back in 1980. Furthermore, with the many surrounding Roman settlements that were known to exist along with the sand and gravel soil, made the area a perfect location for agriculture. The country side used to be dotted with small homesteads for the land owners to lay their heads at nigh after working the fields. These smaller homesteads soon gave way to manor house of which the most famous still stands today and has since become home to a large engineering company in the region.
In 1872, plans were drafted to provide Charleton Kings with a railway line in which the segment that eventually ran through the area became named the Banbury and Cheltenham Direct Railway. Unfortunately, due to the soil type being suitable for mostly agriculture, a number of obstacles became present during the construction of the line and slowed it down. After 9 years though the railway line was able to be finished and soon trains were traveling across them. The railway line through Charleton Kings also proved beneficial in supplying men and munitions during both of the World Wars. For almost 30 years in the early 1900’s there was also an electric rail tram system running across the tracks but were eventually replaced by busses.
There are a number of excellent points of interest for one to see while in Charleton Kings, but the most obvious is the historically important churches which can be found within its borders. The oldest church in Charleton Kings is St Mary’s which was built back in 1190 as a means of easing congestion at the Cheltenham Parish Church which was located nearby.